Monday, September 04, 2006

There's nothing worse than...


Yesterday at work, I laid out one of my pens to be used for the visitor's sign-in sheet of those coming to visit the kids on the unit. By the end of the day, the pen was no where to be found. After looking around the building for my favorite pen, it was obviously gone, and I exclaimed in frustration "There is nothing worse than losing your favorite pen."

Now I'm a bit picky when it comes to my pens. I'm required to only use black ink at work, and do a lot of writing in regards to my patients. I also do a fair amount of journaling and other writing. I love pens. I once owned a Cross pen for nearly 20 years. I bent it in a car wreck and the company fixed and sent it back to be free of charge. Even though computers have taken over the world, including a good bit of my writing, I still love writing with a pen. It's like driving a 5 speed stick shift. You can actually feel the words beneath you.

My favorite pen is the Zebra F-402 ball point. It's light, solid, just the right size in the hand, and with a 0.7mm point that adds a feeling of speed and precession. If it were a woman, I'd marry it.

After the trauma of losing my pen I had to run by Central United Methodist to drop off some letters for the Chrysalis flight that was going on this weekend. It was about midnight and raining, and leaving the church headed down Broadway I passed under the interstate near the Knox Area Rescue Ministry. Crammed under the bridge was probably 45 or 50 people trying to stay out of the rain, and my lost pen returned to my mind - "There's nothing worse than losing your favorite pen."

The busy signal in my brain started as I was overrun with thoughts of things that might be a tad worse than my long lost pen: An African child raped in an attempt to avoid AIDS, a woman beaten by her drunken husband, a elderly father whose nursing home room has not been visited in over five years, a terrorist's bomb that blows up the family of others, a diseased man who's cure is financially out of his grasp, a baby that is born a crack addict, a TV preacher that hides his hatred behind Jesus' name, and ignorance that would lead a man to say 'There's nothing worse than losing your favorite pen."

Technorati Tags: [Ignorance, Nothing worse than]

No comments: