Monday, September 25, 2006

Cancer of the Humor

I've not posted in a couple of weeks due to cancer of the sense of humor. It was diagnosed when I found out I was facing further legal action from my ex-wife. I love to laugh, and will laugh at almost anything appropriate or not. I had a field day when Reagan was shot and he was my favorite president. The day I took Hannah to college I found at the joy had been stolen and the game was on for the 4th time in my divorce. Today we mediated and hopefully got things resolved to both our liking. I know there are cancers of the body that eat away one's health, but I can't imagine they are any more powerful or voracious than the cancer of the soul that comes with anger. Fortunately, God took care of me.

There was a fair amount of down time when the mediator was talking with my ex-wife and her attorney, and I was left alone. I wasn't prepared for this an had not taken anything to occupy my time. I had all my various legal papers, but nothing worth reading, and I was desperately looking for something to help me stay calm. If I let my anger out, I was in big trouble. I have the Big Book on my palm pilot so I turned that on only to find I had not charged it the night before. I looked in my portfolio, and the only thing there other than my legal pad was the Spirituality training material put together by my friend Celeste. I stayed calm and was saved. Then just as all was said and done, I got a call from the same Celeste that was the fuel I needed to get me to a meeting. Then I got a bonus gift of Clara Grace spending the night with me. God did for me what I couldn't do for myself.

My sense of humor is slowly returning. To almost quote Henny Youngman - "Take my ex-wife...Please!" OK, maybe very slowly returning.

2 comments:

Barry Wallace said...

Hey bud. I'm sorry to hear things are still going on with C. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved. :)

And thank you for the compliment about Tink - we are both blessed with beautiful children (even Quent!)

Michael Hickerson said...

Man...I am sorry to hear about that. You are in my prayers, man.