Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Ain't that right, Mrs. Mull

WBIR is reporting that local Gospel music icon Reverend J. Bazzel Mull has died at age 91. I dealt with Preacher Mull in the late 1980's when the bank I worked for advertised with him on one of his Sweetwater, TN radio stations. Brother Frank got one of his first TV gigs as a camera man for The Mull's Singing Convention. I don't know that we got any business from the radio ads, but each Sunday morning while the East Tennessee world was getting ready for church, Preacher Mull would talk up the bank while talking with Frank who was off camera. He always seemed like a nice man, and though I hated the old time Gospel music the Preacher play, I tuned in many times just to hear that now famous gravel voiced phrase, "Ain't that right, Mrs. Mull?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. Didn't we all know that famous phrase and its originator?

Southern Girl said...

Wow, I thought he was dead long ago. Oh, yes...I well remember Preacher and Mrs. Mull Sunday mornings before Sunday School. I didn't understand why in the world my parents had the TV on to see THAT. But then I was only about six. ;)