Monday, August 07, 2006

Humlarity

Humlarity - The joyous combination of humor and hilarity.

One of the things that makes me happiest of all is to laugh. The only thing greater than laughing myself is finding out that I've actually been able to teach my children the same love of laughter.

My oldest daughter, Hannah, has shown a pension for cerebral humor. When her mother was away, she spent several hours convincing her younger sister that she was merely a figment or her mother's imagination. When her mother returned, Clara Grace ran to her crying "Momma! I'm a figment!" The psychological scares were far out weighed by the fact that it's just plain funny.

Clara Grace herself has developed an excellent sense of humor at only age nine. Tonight I had to pick her up after work (11:30pm) and we stopped at the grocery store on the way home. I asked her what people would think about a little girl being out at the store after midnight. She said "I'll just tell them we're out partying one last time before school starts!" I should be upset at the thought of my 3rd grader being able to grasp the concept of partying, especially with our family and my personal history, but its just too damn funny.

What about Quent you ask? Has my son achieved humlarity? No, not really. Dull as a dusty almanac. The boy's destined to be an actuarial. Though it scares me to admit it, he could end up being the next Mr. Rogers.

No comments: