Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Read me a story

One of my goals for the year has been to read at least 12 books, one per month, during the year. Normally, I read a few more than that, but lately I've gotten behind. I started the year by letting Hannah get me addicted to the Harry Potter series. Now I hang out at Borders wearing a black robe, fake glasses, and holding a wand and longingly waiting for book seven. Ususally I'm asked to move on. Apparently this is not considered normal behavior for a 43 year old. (Unless of course you are a member of congress.) After that, I headed for some more adult fare. I read Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code and Angles and Demons. I liked Angles and Demons better. I have always liked the work of Tom Wolf, so I decided to read his latest book I Am Charlotte Simmons about a small town girl off to the new world of college and the big city. This choice was a big mistake. The book was excellent, but I don't recommend it for fathers whose daughters are going off to college for the first time. Currently, I'm reading Bill W. about A.A.'s founder Bill Wilson, and C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. I don't know what I'll read to close out the year, but probably something by either John Irving or Pat Conroy.

No comments: