Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Middle Child Blues


It seems like no matter how hard you try sometimes things just happen anyway. Take my son Quent. I thought that being the only boy, and being seven years older than his baby sister, he would somehow escape the stereotypical middle child role. Wrong. Quent often is the silent child, escaping notice, stuck between a superstar, and an angel. But during his Nanny's birthday he was far from silent.

Here he is pictured with his cousin Parker. Quent is the first, and one of only four young men, that are part of my parent's thirteen grandchildren. At seventeen, he's into his ipod, job, Frisbee golf, long boarding (skateboards), and though he doesn't admit it to his dad, girls. The last thing a seventeen year old wants to do is hang out with his "boy cousins" ages 10, 6, and 8 months. But whenever they asked, he answered the call to play. I bet he spent at least 2 hours chasing errant Frisbee throws.

I hope Quent never feels overlooked. I'm very fortunate to have such a fine young man as my son.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a fine young man indeed!

Anonymous said...

Quent is a very fine young man indeed. And yes, being the middle child often sucked.

Quent also has the privilege of being the only one of the 13 to carry on the fine double-L'd name (since Paul & I weren't capable of putting a stem on the apple and tagged out of the game fearing another wedding we would have to pay for!)

But with Quent, I believe that name is in good hands.

Anonymous said...

Quent is most definitely a jewel. Hunter loves coming to Nanny's house because he loves Nanny, but also because he loves playing with Quent. Quent never makes him feel like a little kid, even though he is 10 years older. I can only hope that Hunter shows as much kindness to his little brother, but who am I kidding?!