Monday, July 02, 2007

Chicken Little vs. Diabetes

Hypochondria has long run in my family, and though I don't want to seem immodest, we do it better than most I know. I had an uncle that claimed he suffered from PMS for almost 13 years. So when I went for my annual physical last Monday, I fully expected to have some medical mole hill I could turn into a mountain. Wednesday, I got a call from Dr. Bellingrath's nurse Tammy. "Me Willson, we have your blood tests back. Your cholesterol is a bit high, but nothing that requires medication. Your HDL and LDL levels are (whatever they were I wasn't listening.) and oh yeah, you've got dia...

Now here is where I would normally go into my best Chicken Little impersonation before I even heard the rest of the word. It didn't matter if she said diarrhea or diverticulitis I would have been off to the races with the whole sky is falling routine complete with woe is me, and funeral plans.

What Tammy told me was "you've got diabetes". She also said that Len wanted to see me as soon as was convenient. I was surprised at how calm I was at the time. I didn't even tell anyone for several hours. But by late Wednesday night, the kick in the pancreas had taken effect, and I had to leave work early and get in a meeting.

I saw Len again Friday, and he told me I have Type 2 Diabetes. I'm fortunate that we caught it before any symptoms had occurred. I will have to take metformin daily, but other than that should be able to go on as normal. I'm still working on losing weight (down 9lbs to date) and changing my diet. Sell your Mayfield's stock. And, I hope your sitting down, I've even started exercising. Something to which I was previously theologically opposed. The thunder you hear in West Knoxville will not be our much needed rain, just me working out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Dr. B & Tammy. They won't let you freak out.

Anonymous said...

You've been tagged. :)

Lane said...

Dr. B's been my doc since 1994, and in addition to his vast encyclopedic medical knowledge, something surprising for an Arkansas boy, he has done a wonderful job helping me with pain management in light of my alcoholism. I'm pretty sure Tammy is on the fast track for sainthood.

Anonymous said...

A million years ago, I coordinated the Children's Mental Health event at the zoo every May. Dr. B & Tammy would both volunteer their entire Saturday to talk to parents and give free mini-checkups to children.

Barry Wallace said...

So, when I see lightning I know thunder's coming. But when I hear thunder, I know it could be a storm or Lane exercising. Thanks for confusing my meteorological sensibilities... ;)