Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Life well lived

Forgive me father, for I have sinned. According to Technorati it has been 55 days since my last post. Like my good friend Barry I have had difficulty lately finding the motivation to post. Barry laments a life that he fears may be boring, but having known Barry and the Swiss family Wallace since 1994, I find it more inspiring than boring. I have watched Barry grow as a husband, as a father, as a musician, as a Christian, as someone who loves his work, as an artist, and simply as a man. The cool thing about Barry's blog is watching him simply enjoy the things and people he loves.

A few days ago a long time family friend, Hugh Willson, passed away. Cousin Hugh was my father's mentor, my Papaw's fishing buddy, and a man who loved his family and community. As his son Paul mentioned at his father's funeral, Hugh was known to introduce himself as "a national banker, a farmer, a Southern Baptist, and a Democrat!" He found the things that he loved, and lived to love them.

Watching a man's life I expect is much like watching a tree grow. Watched on virtually any given day there is nothing at all to see, but viewed over time one is amazed at the miracle of its transformation, and the gifts it has grown to provide. Like any tree, a man's life becomes spectacular when it points to the awesome wonder of the one created it.

1 comment:

Barry Wallace said...

You are the man, Lane-o. Thank you very much for your kind words :)

Sorry to hear about your cousin Hugh, but I'm glad he touched your family's life. As you have touched ours :)